Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Watching a house burn down

When I was 16, I was out with my friends one night, having a good time, doing whatever it was that I did when I was 16 (which was not all that constructive). I had dropped off my friend who lived kind of far out in the "sticks" and was on my way home. I saw a huge plume of smoke and could see flames through the trees. My curiosity got the best of me and I turned on a small road to follow the smoke. I got to the scene of a horrible house fire. This was an older home, built way off the road in the woods. It was in the process of burning to the ground and the fire department was trying to keep the fire under control at that point. The family that owned the house was standing in front of it, watching it burn to the ground too, along with many other neighbors from the area. It was a huge fire and very scary. And I stood there, even though I had no business standing there as I was a complete stranger, and watched in horror with them. If anyone has ever seen a house literally burn to the ground, you know what I mean. It is a sight. I was overcome with fear, sorrow, grief, relief, and thankfulness. I think about this now and imagine how completely awful I would feel if my own home burned to the ground. Nevermind that we have insurance to cover the financial loss, but all of the things inside, God I would be so devastated to lose them. Some of the things I have are so emotionally valuable to me I can't even put it into words. So anyway, that night, as I stood with all the other people, just watching, I though maybe I should help these people, somehow. And so I did this pathetic thing....I gave my winter coat to the woman, the mother I suppose. It happened to be winter and I had a coat in my car. She looked at me with the strangest look and said thank you, but I felt so ridiculous when I was driving home! I had no idea what to do or what to say, I just handed her this winter coat.

1 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Bryan Kurz Photography said...

sounds like fun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home