Thursday, March 09, 2006

Well, what do they know?

I have been amazed lately to discover, that my twin sons are apparently learning to read somehow. They are learning the fundamental structure of the English language and how letters are formed and how words are formed from those letters. Wow. How did that happen?

As we ride along in the car, they pass the time pointing out signs they see and demanding that I read them. They point out all the letters they see then they will tell me which of those letters they have in their name. They also eavesdrop. If they overhear me talking to someone, they pipe in saying, "What are you guys talking about?" and no matter how hard I try to ignore them, they keep saying it until they get an answer.

They suddenly, or so it seems, know all this stuff. And they constantly talk and ask questions. I mean constantly. They are only quiet when they sleep. It is exhausting, to have to keep up with their intellectual development. Not to mention, the 10 year old. Her intellectual development is happening at break-neck speed. I predict in the next 5 years she will be more intelligent than I am. And then what am I going to do? I caught her with my HTML programming book the other day, teaching herself the programming language to build websites. What the hell is that about?

I am soon to be surrounded by a house full of people that are a million times smarter than me. Maybe they will still find a use for me, I mean someone has to put away their shoes, right?

2 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Brandie said...

You have some pretty smart kids there! Website building ... good for her! =)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Melodee said...

It's amazing, isn't it? I do love the part of parenting where you just see your kids learn so quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home