Monday, February 21, 2005

Sounds of restrictor plate racing

Ahh, they are back for the season! NASCAR is back on again. The sound of restrictor plate racing filled my house Sunday afternoon. The very important Daytona 500 was on....three TVs to be exact. My husband has been a NASCAR junkie for years, but not when I met him. Somehow I thought that I had found a guy who would not spend weekends glued to the TV watching sports, and for the most part, I did. But then he began to form a relationship with my dad, who is a long time NASCAR fan. I grew up listening to the stock car engines, on the radio in dad's truck and on the TV. I used to know all the drivers and their numbers and their sponsors. And then as I grew up, I lost interest in NASCAR.

But Mr. Smoov began to enjoy it. And now, he is a true fan. How in the hell did my father manage to influence my Italian/German boyfriend from New York? My boyfriend, who played in a rock and roll band when I met him. Now he drinks beer brewed in the U.S. and watches NASCAR, he even has a Dale Jr. plate on my Jeep, which he drives to work every day! I can't fucking believe there is a Dale Jr. plate on my Jeep. I guess it could be worse.....it could be Jeff Gordon!

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

I tend to enjoy watching all sorts of different kinds of sports, I didn't catch the race on the weekend but heard on the radio that the lead was up for grabs right till the end. Must have been exciting.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger cackmandu said...

That is funny shit! My wife thought I wasn't a sport fan either when we married. I was really into sports growing up and then kind of lost interest in all but hockey! Then shortly after getting married I was drawn into fantasy football and I had to get the package that I get to see all the football games. Needless to say that she was pissed at my new found love that had risen in me.

I am not a NASCAR fan but did plan on watching the race but forgot all about it. I was on a stress relieving hike. I was trying to forget that they cancelled hockey this year.

I think my wife would kick my ass if I put a Dale Jr. plate on our Jeep. I did however put up a hockey car magnet that says "I need my hockey fix(ed)".

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Smoov said...

I know, I know QQ. We all have our dirty little secrets!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"it could be worse.....it could be Jeff Gordon!"

My kinda woman! LOL. The race was hard here...Cory and I are Jr fans...my mother, who was over to watch the race, is a Gordon fan @@ But nonetheless, that's some good racing, no matter the outcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home