Friday, June 29, 2007

The Cat Empire

I shot my first concert with an official photo pass last night. I brought Macy, one of my oldest friends, along to be my wingman. Every girl needs a wingman when out in bars or at concerts. And a good wingman knows when to intervene and when to stand by and observe quietly. Macy did pretty good, although once or twice she was completely lost in her mad dancing in the crowd. But I'll cut her some slack because she's got a 2 month old baby and an 18 month old toddler. She needed some mad dancing in her life.

So, the band, The Cat Empire. Very nice. Six guys from Australia, the sound is kind of a jazz-ska-rock thing and they did some jamming as well. I have a soft spot for jam bands. And really, any band with a trumpet player is alright in my book. These cats were energetic and tight together. The music was great. I went in to it having only heard a few sound bits from the web. I went to the show only because I was given a photo pass and put on their guest list, so I didn't have to pay for the tickets. A free concert is always a good thing, nothing to lose. But I think I'll buy their album because I really enjoyed it and it's something different and it's time for me to have something different. Their music is completely danceable and in fact it is very difficult not to dance. But taking pictures and dancing don't go well together, so I didn't dance much.

I did take a lot of pictures, once I got the photo pass that is. It wasn't at the box office as it should have been so I had to find someone with the band to sort it out. Dan, with the band (Tour manager?) was more than helpful and got it all fixed for me. Turns out people ask you weird things when you have any sort of access pass. In summation, no, I can't get you backstage or on stage or in the singer's pants. I'm just taking some pictures for them, sorry. Having the permission to run amuck at a concert with a huge bag of camera junk and the freedom to take pictures was great. I climbed up on stage over on the sides and shot from there. The security guard, who used to be a formidable hurdle for me at concerts, got me a chair so I could climb up on the stage easier. All because I had a little green pass. I liked that a lot. I want to do it some more.

I've got another pass to shoot at Rocco DeLuca and The Burden in August. I only get to shoot the first three songs at that one, but that's better than nothing. In the end, if all I get out of this is admission to concerts for free, that would be just fine. I love concerts and I really enjoy taking pictures of musicians doing their thing because it can be so beautiful to watch. But wouldn't it be cool if some of the pictures were published?

2 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when do we get to see these pics on Flickr? And how did you get the gig?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger The Sawyer Family Circus said...

I will flunkie for you at any gig. And I'll do better next time! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home