Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Police

The last time the Police played in Atlanta was November, 1986. I was 13 years old and didn't have the finances to secure tickets and transportation to this show. It was at The Omni which no longer exists as an entertainment venue. The Omni Hotel does exist and serves the current Phillips Arena that was built on the same spot once the Omni was torn down. I have so many memories in the Omni! I've seen loads of concerts there...Def Leppard, Robert Plant, REM, Jimmy Page, David Bowie....and the list goes on. Big names, musical legends, all in my very early teen years. That was the one thing I spent most of my money on, concert tickets. All the hours waiting in line for tickets, all the attempts at getting backstage or getting just a fleeting glimpse of the artists as they left the venue. I wish I had been into photography at the level I am now because I would have some great pictures! Oh and just a little bit of trivia on the Omni, The Police's "Synchronicity Concert" was filmed at the Omni in November 1983. Def Leppard's live home video "In the Round, In Your Face", was filmed at the Omni in October 1988, which was the show I saw. Alas, the Omni was rusting and began losing business so it was demolished in 1997 and Phillips Arena was completed in 1999 . Since then I've seen lots of shows at Phillips ;)

Kevin and I went to see the Police on their reunion tour last Saturday. I paid more for those tickets than I have ever paid for concert tickets, and was glad to do it. Kevin got to see the Police as a teen but this was my only chance to see them live. They were fantastic, didn't miss a beat. They were musically tight despite being somewhat on the outs off the stage, from what I had been reading. We had a great time at the show, Kevin's broken foot and all. I got a few really nice pictures that I will forever cherish. Here is the last shot of the night:

2 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger ccl said...

sounds like a great time

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Steph said...

I'm so glad you wrote about the concert. I had been meaning to ask you how it was...so wish I could have been there too!!! But I'm thrilled to hear what a great time you had. That's an awesome picture! I wish we had the kind of camera back then that you have now (and of course permission to take the pics).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home